Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Free Rangin'!

We had a busy day today.  I worked all day, then picked the kids up from school and went straight to their swimming lessons.  I called home later in the evening to check in with the hubs.  Immediately, he tells me the chickens were out.  I was like, huh?  He pulled in and the girls were in the yard and Lila was on the deck.  I said, wow...I haven't been there since 8:15am ...and they were in the coop!  The only thing I can figure is the door to the run was not latched and one of those smart feathered birdies leaned against it hard enough for it to open.  Kenny has a spring loaded closer on it, so it would have shut itself after they sprung from jail!  There were 3 eggs in the box....good chance any later day layers laid in the yard somewhere!  Will have to go on an egghunt tomorrow to see if we can find any others!  Glad to see that stinkin' rooster earned his keep by watching over the girls!  I'm happy they were found in our yard as well!  That's not to say they didn't visit the slop pile in the back of the neighbor's yard....they've never wandered further than that.  I'm also happy to say that they visit our own compost bin first when they get let out now.  I've been putting alot in it, so they had lots to munch on!   I was feeling guilty that it was a nicer day and they had to stay in the coop!!  hahaha  Guess they took matters into their own hands!  Bird brains, they are not!

Flower lays first egg???

Yesterday, we got 5 eggs!  1 from each of the hens!  2 green, 1 dark brown and 2 light brown!  I think that means Flower finally laid!  Of course, was hoping to confirm that today, but there was only one green egg in the nest box (most likely Prissy...she's an early bird)....if Flower laid later in the day, good chance they were already locked out of the coop...so definitely want to look around tomorrow to see if we can find any eggs!  These girls always keep you guessing!!!! 

We are seriously thinking of doing some kind of fence in the back yard.  We have an acre, so I'm sure it would cost a fortune to fence the whole thing.  I guess we'll have to start pricing.  The neighbor's keep talking about getting chickens and I definitely don't want my flock intermingling....bad jou jou and diseases.  Hope they keep it on the D.L. as I don't want to get busted for having chickens because they go out and get a bunch.  I do not know the neighbor on the other side of them....they only moved in towards the end of summer. Not sure if they are tolerant to our under the radar chicken keeping!  No one's complained about Lila as of yet, so that is a good thing.  I figure he's no worse than a barking dog...and we have plenty of them around here...so how bad can he be!?

Here's to hopin' these girls don't escape again tomorrow!!!!  Weasels!

Eggs for sale?

I think we can safely sell a doz eggs every week or 2.  I have an ad up in Craigslist to see if I can find someone who is looking to purchase on a regular basis.  So far, no hits.  It would definitely help finance the feed.  If you know of anyone local to us who wants to know where their eggs come from , how the birds are treated (SPOILED!) and care that they have an organic, soy free diet....please send them my way!.

Now I know where 'flew the coop' came from! 
Malissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to read our blog! Hope you are enjoying it. Please feel free to leave a comment, question or observation! It will help me know that people are actually checking in!